Monday, October 15, 2012

Chapter 15: Retailing

     The Coca-Cola Company isn't very much considered a retailer because they only sell to certain stores which market their products. They are what we call - "independent retailers" which by Google, is defined as; A non-multiple retailer operating separately and outside of a larger company chain. Or retailer which only has one or two stores open to the public. The Coca-Cola Company has been in business for over 120 years and is one of the worlds most recognized companies. What they do is have their product produced and distributed by bottling companies that they do not have ownership to. There are three different kinds of bottling companies that the Coca-Cola Company does business with:
  • Bottling companies that Coca-Cola has invested in and are able to control with interest.
  • Bottling companies that Coca-Cola has invested in but has NO controlling ownership interest.
  • Bottling companies that are independent and where Coca-Cola also has NO controlling-ownership interest.
 

     Although the Coca-Cola Company is an independent retailer, they do still have a few retail stores here in the United States and even one outside the country. These stores not only sell the company's signature beverage but also merchandise, apparel, and souvenirs that the customer is open to buying. The first was opened in Atlanta, Georgia and is still open to this day. On top of that, you can also purchase merchandise from the company shop website where they even offer Halloween costumes and decorations for the Holiday season.

So Coca-Cola beverages are usually most commonly found in department stores and even the corner bodegas in NYC. It seems like it's everywhere we go and that goes to show you how Coca-Cola has worked towards being the most recognized beverage distributor everywhere they are. Supermarkets, movie theaters, sporting events, restaurants, vending machines, etc.  Coca-Cola is sold EVERYWHERE. They are bottled in the famous glass bottle of theirs, a plastic bottle or their signature cans so they are pretty difficult to not recognize. 

  
During the weekend, I went out to a particular restaurant for the first time. It was very routine but when the waitress came to take my order and asked me what I would like to drink, I asked for a "Coke, please". She apologized and told me that this particular restaurant does not carry any Coca-Cola beverage because they do not support the company and believe they are bad for the environment. I found this very strange, it was the first time I went to a diner and they didn't have any Coca-Cola. She suggested a Pepsi; I said No. I ended up drinking a couple glasses of water throughout my meal because I felt bad that I wasn't having a Coke in that moment AND because I was very much looking forward to that class of Coke. I could of easily asked for the Pepsi but I didnt. I guess this goes to show that even though Coca-Cola is such a recognized company in this world, it still has its non-supporters. This is something that Coca-Cola has been working towards throughout the years. They want to bring back the customers that it seems they have been losing.



No comments:

Post a Comment